A two-cent fine for Kurt.

Kenneth Applegate starsrus at scn.org
Mon Sep 28 13:26:37 PDT 1998

On Sun, 27 Sep 1998, Rich Littleton wrote:

> I don't think keyboard versus mouse is necessarily the element that makes
> a program user friendly or not.  (I still prefer DOS WordPerfect 5.1, as I
> stated).
>
> The difficulty with both Pine and Freeport (more with Pine) is the
> convoluted nature of the setup and the inconsistency of commands.

I think Rich is right on the mark here ---

> E.g.,
> having to get out of Pine to see new mail.

BUT - this may not necessarily be a Pine feature? But something to do with
the way Pine interacts with our mail server? Anybody know?

> E.g. having to get out of Pine
> and Freeport e-mail to get to the work directory (though someone came up
> with a way to fool the system).

AND - whaa? You get to the work directory automatically with standard
Freeport accounts when you want to insert a text file into an email
document. (the old Ctrl-R, Ctrl-T sequence of Pico editor for either email
program). Or is Rich saying he wants to "shell out" to the work directory
from either mail program to work with the files - rename, delete, copy,
etc?

> E.g. Not having a help index so a newbie
> can search for specific help. Etc., Etc.

On the mark, I think, if we are talking about Freeport - and the help that
is available is frequently oudated. As for help in Pine - each page comes
with a help screen reached with the Ctrl-G (Get Help) command featured in
the same upper-left location in the menus at the bottom of the screen.
What is so hard about that?

> E.g. the fact that commands mean different things in different screens
> (^t, ^r, ^j, for example).

Agreed, this is unfortunate in Pine, but you are a bit limited when you
have 26 letters to bind to lots of commands on multiple screens. However,
maybe the email instructors could emphasize that users should refer
frequently to the Ctrl-G help screens until they get familiar with the
setup?

> Of course one can get used to almost anything.  But one CANNOT teach
> almost anything equally easily.

No, but with some testing of what works and what doesn't on teaching
something, it is possible to refine the teaching and present the
information clearly to the students.

> Rich

Ken

Ken Applegate           How do you identify astronomers from Seattle?
<starsrus at scn.org>      By the windshield wipers on their telescopes!