Pine controversy

Rod Clark bb615 at scn.org
Tue Sep 29 11:47:11 PDT 1998

> What would it take to instead adopt a Web-based e-mail model
> option for SCN?

Al,

   For examples of how some Web-based e-mail services work, see

        http://www.scn.org/guide/email.html

> * Yes, it'd be a programming challenge.  We have smart people,
> though; I'd bet we can do it if we decide it's a priority.

   Keep in mind that it took SCN two years to make a standard
canned e-mail program (Pine) work on SCN. When Lynx needed a
patch applied to fix a security hole, this took several months,
and the users complained that many of Lynx's features were
disabled in the meantime. It has taken over a year now to get a
standard canned Usenet server program running on SCN3, and it
still isn't ready. For well over two years now, SCN hasn't been
able to install a canned FTP server program that everyone can
use.

   From your perch over there on the planet Zongo-Bongo, can you
describe in more detail exactly how SCN would go about
impersonating a software development company? I'm listening, and
wearing my funny hat.

   SCN's only real option is to install standard, well supported
software that needs an absolute minimum of the very few really
expert SCN volunteers' time to support it. Only if such software
is available in a well tested, highly secure, bug free version
that has been pounded on by many other sites, might installing
it on SCN be at all practical.

Rod