Pine controversy

Rod Clark bb615 at scn.org
Wed Sep 30 05:44:21 PDT 1998

> claim they are configurable.  This would seem to allow for an
> SCN-branded Web interface to our existing mail system. Not an
> ideal solution (slow and outside our control) but still an
> option I hadn't seen discussed before.

Al,

   Have a look at these Web-based e-mail server products, and
see what you think. Each of these could be installed on SCN.
Caveat emptor. I quote from the documentation for a Web-based
product called AtDot (which I have erased from the following
list):

"What's new in 1.8.5? Finally, we have mass deletion of
messages. This is one that people have wanted for a while now.
Also, there are the first attempts at making it easier to
customize features on the server side. However, turning features
on/off is untested and probably doesn't work right yet. In
addition, session management has been enhanced to assign session
id's that aren't as easily hacked, and stores session
information in a less hackable fashion (older version used clear
text in a flat database, very bad). If nothing else, you should
upgrade for the last reason. What's new in 1.8.0? This release
incorporates the bugfixes from 1.5.5, as well as various other
security updates."

   You'd probably want something that's been running at a few
thousand sites for a year or two with no significant problems.
These are in alphabetical order, and I've looked only briefly at
them. Did I say "caveat emptor" yet?

AnyEMail
   http://netbula.com/anyemail/

Corporate Web Mail