Pine controversy

Al Boss alboss at scn.org
Wed Sep 30 10:48:35 PDT 1998

Since I made the snide comment in public, I'll apologize in public, too,
Rod: my reference to tact and manners was unnecessary.

Back to the matter at hand--I think Rod's right on the money: "caveat
emptor" (roughly translates as "let the buyer beware", for those who
avoided Latin class) is the phrase of the day, for this subject.

SCN has (sort of) a precedent set by which we direct our users to
programs/services that they can use in conjunction with SCN, but which
we didn't write and don't support.  (WS_FTP, I-Comm, etc.), so I'd
*guess* that we could increase the profile of the third-party Web
interfaces to our mail, if we chose to.

The other phrase of the day: "if we chose to".  There are lots of simple
answers for complex solutions.  Most of them are wrong.  Much as I'd
like to see us not get bogged down in process, our process and careful
study are what has kept our system stable, affordable, and sustainable,
and we dare not give it up.

Back to my original question: is this (Web interface to SCN mail) a
viable, achievable, practical option to offer our users who are
challenged by our current mail options?

Best,

Al