CFN & Y2K: Free Computer Network Goes Offline

Joe Mabel jmabel at saltmine.com
Fri Aug 6 08:00:57 PDT 1999

Hard to know what to make of this.  Almost seems like a hoax, or at least a
partial misunderstanding, although I don't doubt Cleveland Freenet is going
out of existence.  Unlike our SCN, I gather they never really made the
transition to the Web & they are more of a glorified BBS.  Shutting that
down would just be the recongnition that their software has gone from
obselescent to obsolete.

Still, it's bizarre that they are closing shop instead of transitioning.
Must be far more to the story than this, and they are blaming the software
for an institutional problem.