CFN & Y2K: Free Computer Network Goes Offline

Kenneth Applegate starsrus at scn.org
Fri Aug 6 09:46:01 PDT 1999

On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Joe Mabel wrote:

I checked the Cleveland Freenet site, and apparently it's no hoax,
althought they don't say much about. They seem to be tied closely to Case
Western Reserve University, and there is a note advising faculty, staff,
and students to switch over to other university services.

I hope the obsolete software that doesn't do Y2K isn't named "Freeport"!

Ken Applegate

> Hard to know what to make of this.  Almost seems like a hoax, or at least a
> partial misunderstanding, although I don't doubt Cleveland Freenet is going
> out of existence.  Unlike our SCN, I gather they never really made the
> transition to the Web & they are more of a glorified BBS.  Shutting that
> down would just be the recongnition that their software has gone from
> obselescent to obsolete.
>
> Still, it's bizarre that they are closing shop instead of transitioning.
> Must be far more to the story than this, and they are blaming the software
> for an institutional problem.

Ken Applegate           How do you identify astronomers from Seattle?
<starsrus at scn.org>      By the windshield wipers on their telescopes!