Amazing Facts

Gianni Truzzi gtruzzi at scn.org
Sat Feb 6 20:56:35 PST 1999

To all of our faithful volunteers:

I have just completed transferring all of the registration records and
available donation records into an Access database for easier
record-keeping by the management company we have just engaged to process
our registration forms and incoming donations.

This exercise has been quite eye-opening. The resulting database shows
the following results of SCN's collective effort over the last five
years, which I would like to share with you:

    E-mail accounts:     16,702
    SCN Users:           15,970 (a person may have more than one
account).
    Donations:              6,679 (*)
    Current Members:  514

(*) counts only those that came with a registration or were applied to
an SCNA membership since 12/1/97. Non-registration donations prior to
that I deemed not material to current needs. If I counted all of them, I
suspect the number would be nearly double.

I can't help but reflect on what a staggering achievement this is. Not
all of those e-mail accounts reflects a currently active and satisfied
user, of course. But each one of those accounts had to be processed and
created. That's an enormous number of people who have walked through our
door.

Allow me to put this in some perspective. According to a recent article
in the Seattle Times, Speakeasy boasts 2,200 (paying) users. We, on the
other hand, are now giving out that many e-mail accounts EACH YEAR! And
we do all of this with no paid staff. This is *entirely* the product of
our dedicated volunteers, that is, ALL OF YOU.

We certainly beat ourselves about the head enough about what we are not
doing, what we ought to be doing, what we could be doing better. And
this may be all true. But we seldom look at what we have achieved. We
should be very, very proud of ourselves. All of us. The fact that we are
still going after five years is an accomplishment all by itself. In
addition, we are doing e-mail training, providing modest support, and
other activities at the same time. This is truly amazing.

The fact that we have over 500 members (and yes, I know this is down
from earlier counts), is also very impressive. Any local organization
would greatly envy such a large membership base.

I am very proud to be the President of such an incredible group of
people. In fact, its humbling, and an honor.

Your servant,

Gianni Truzzi
President
Seattle Community Network Association