Libraries and Community Networks

Doug Schuler douglas
Tue Feb 16 10:28:03 PST 1999

Here is news about a new booklet that Jamie McClelland and I wrote.
It describes the important role that libraries play in the new
digital world.  Please distribute it widely -- especially to
public librarians and their allies.  Thanks!

-- Doug

**Please re-post where appropriate**

February 16, 1999

PUBLIC SPACE IN CYBERSPACE: LIBRARY ADVOCACY IN THE INFORMATION AGE is now
available! This 32 page booklet outlines the importance of preserving a
public space in the digital world. It includes profiles of innovative
public libraries operating computer centers, community computer networks,
cable access TV centers, and satellite TV equipment. The booklet also
includes a beginners policy primer on our legal right to the affordable use
of telephone networks, the Internet, and TV services. It encourages all
public library and information advocates to work together in promoting a
communications network for everyone.

To order a copy, write to Libraries for the Future, PUBLIC SPACE Order, 121
W. 27th Street, Suite 1102, New York, NY 10001. Please include a check or
money order made out to Libraries for the Future for $9.95 plus $3 shipping
and handling. Questions? Contact Jamie McClelland (jamiem at lff.org,
800-542-1918).

An online version will be available on Libraries for the Future's website
(http://www.lff.org) by the end of February.

Below is a shortened version of the conclusion to the booklet, posted for
the purpose of sparking conversation on our right to freedom of speech and
information. Please comment!

***************************

Conclusion: What's the Next Step?

When advocating for public space in cyberspace, we encounter two seemingly
insurmountable obstacles. The first is language. How can we convey these
ideas in a way that people identify with? Mentioning the words
"telecommunications policy" usually earns the speaker blank stares. The
second is a lack of perceived need. New forms of communication have been
promoted in such a consumer-oriented way that electronic communication is
more often perceived as a privilege that should cost money, than as a
fundamental part of a democratic society.

Telecommunications policy is most understandable to the general public when
it involves issues of censorship and the widely understood First Amendment.
For example, few telecommunications issues have received as much mainstream
publicity and understanding as the Communications Decency Act. Because it
relates to censorship, which is easily associated with our First Amendment
right to free speech, more people are able to identify with the issue.

Although promoting a public space in cyberspace is also closely related to
our constitutional right to free speech, few people are able to make this
connection, and therefore, fewer people are able to personally relate to
this important issue. We, as public space advocates, must emphasize this
connection as one way of overcoming both the problem of language and lack
of perceived need.

Recently, Libraries for the Future commissioned a study about fiscal and
legal aspects of the public library, including the question: Do we have a
constitutional right to receive information through the public library?
This study suggests that the slogan "Information is a right" has convincing
legal standing. Although it focused on the implications for public library
funding, the study provides a strong argument for public space advocates of
all stripes. In a range of cases, the Supreme court consistently held that:
"The right of freedom of speech and press includes not only the right to
utter or to print, but the right to distribute, the right to receive, [and]
the right to read ... " (Supreme Court, Grisold v. Connecticut, 1965; a
full summary of these court cases is included the original conclusion).

As information rapidly migrates to cyberspace, it is now more important
than ever to call attention to these First Amendment rights. Increasingly,
the lack of adequate public spaces in cyberspace may deny many people their
right to receive, produce and discuss information. Creating innovative
partnerships that combine Internet access and communications, TV
production, community forums, and access to library resources is one step
toward realizing our First Amendment rights. The second step is
communicating these rights to the public. By raising awareness of these
issues as constitutional rights, we can build a base for guaranteeing
public funding to make a sufficient public space in the growing realm of
cyberspace.

*************

"The right of freedom of speech and press includes not only the right to
utter or to print, but the right to distribute, the right to receive, [and]
the right to read ... "

Supreme Court, Grisold v. Connecticut, 1965

---------

Jamie McClelland
Access Harlem/Harlem Partnership Center
Minisink Townhouse