Linux free software movement

L Winn lwinn at u.washington.edu
Thu Jan 21 15:20:12 PST 1999

> 2.  How can *we*  build bridges with them?  Is there a natural fit:
> public software, public information, public communication?

Them?  Them is us!  You, me, and anyone who's interested in Linux,
downloads free software and uses it, writes software and releases it under
the GPL, or, writes documentation, HOW-TOs and works to spread the word.

Linux and the Free Software movement is building a better world through
anarchy.  Sounds like a joke, or a wishful thought, but it is, in fact,
the hard truth.

There is no well defined THEM.  And you can be a part of the LInux
movement and not be a "hacker".  There isn't any clear group to build
bridges to, execpt the group who hasn't heard of LInux, and has never
tried free software.

If you want to find a way to contribute to and spread Free Software,
I would suggest using SCN to get the word out.

Here are some resources that tell you more about Linux.  Because of its
anarchical organization, there are no definitvie sources for information,
software or news. The foloowing are some well trod paths, however.

	The Linux Journals- Linux Resources Page
	http://www.ssc.com/linux/

	The Puget Sound Linux User's Group
	http://sealinux.itsite.com/

	Slashdot:News for Nerds, Stuff that Matters
	http://slashdot.org/

	Linux Online
	http://www.linux.org/

	GNU and FSF