Linux free software movement

Doug Schuler douglas
Thu Jan 21 11:22:43 PST 1999

I'm *definitely* supposed to be doing everything but posting here...

But..

I just finished an article on Linux and the free software movement.
These hackers (from all over the world) are working together to build
open-source operating system, software tools, and, recently, a public
domain GUI (called gnome - pronounced guh-nome).  They seem to be taken
very seriously -- especially in third world countries that can't afford
version 173.2.1 updates, etc.

My questions --

1. Do *we* (community networkers) offer anything analogous?  (Seems to
me that the Usenet newsgroups may be the closest thing.  What's our
connection to THEM?  will the web put THEM out of business?  I wonder
how their numbers are growing. )

2.  How can *we*  build bridges with them?  Is there a natural fit:
public software, public information, public communication?

The Technology Review article closed with a quote from Gandhi:

First they ignore you, then they laugh, then they fight, then they
lose.

-- Doug

BTW, The Peter Kollock and Marc Smith book on "Communities in Cyberspace"
is now out.  It has lots of empirical study on usenet newsgroups,etc.
(Routledge)