Difference of opinion

Barb Weismann bb140 at scn.org
Thu Jul 1 19:39:45 PDT 1999

Dear all:
I am going off the lists for awhile and will only perform a couple tasks
in the near future.  This also means:
--I offered to take official minutes.  I don't think I want to have my
unofficial minutes questioned.  Sharma did not get back to me about
helping her do official minutes.  Sorry, we didn't reach agreement.
--Rich, I will send you your outline ASAP.  Write me directly if you have
looked at the addressbook addendum I sent you.
--Mel and Steve, I am retracting my offer to work on HR.

In a previous message, Mel wrote:

If the people doing the attacking spent their time instead on some of
the work that needs doing, we would be able to move forward so much
faster!  If you or anyone else reading this thinks something is
broken, get your hands dirty by joining the team responsible and find
out exactly in which ways things are and are not working.  Try
offering to help work with the others involved to actually improve
things rather than dictating from the sidelines how they should be
improved (frequently without even close to full knowledge of what is
really going on - something you won't be "entitled" to unless you are
part of the team).
(end of quote)

I can't work in an organization or with people who:
--control information to only those whom they regard as on the team;
--accuse others of ignorance when the party involved is the one who has
failed to report on her own activities;
--fail to uphold good communication practices, that allow all volunteers
organization-wide recognition for their roles and accomplishments, i.e.
think they are the only ones doing work, do not set up simple recongition
programs like monthly reports and thank yous, and thus then don't find
out what others are doing;
--fail to comply with their own rules i.e. use implication and don't name
names, rather than simply stating thier case. (How about: Barb, I thought
your petition sucked, I felt it as a personal attack, I feel angry,
insulted, demeaned.  I feel I am working hard and this makes me feel like
you don't recongize that."--was that it, Mel? I didn't mean that- but now
no one believes my sincerity).

I am hereby making a personal attack.  It is an example of an attitude
which I believe is rampant, and yet which Mel is the only one until now to
voice.  She is a culprit in having this attitude, but it is upheld by
every other Board member who fails to give information to us when we ask
for it.  There are a few people in SCN who read all my words and
understand them all as an on-going plea to work towards democratic goals.
Those who are more interested in control of information than democratic
practices think I am complaining.  Well, be glad, you've done it again.
(You, collective).  You've disgusted me enough that I don't want to say
I'm part of this any more.

Barb