WEB: But we are talking about a volunteer program here...

Lorraine Pozzi femme2 at scn.org
Tue Jul 20 13:17:32 PDT 1999

On Tue, 20 Jul 1999, Rod Clark wrote:

> It costs a few hundred dollars a month to
> have them do that, but apparently this has improved the
> registration situation quite a bit compared to when it was done
> by volunteers. This is something that might someday be done by
> regular SCN office staff, if SCN would ever have any...,

A small correction here.  I do not believe the registration process
has ever been more efficient than when I (as a volunteer) was
processing registrations.  Not a particularly challenging task,
but one which many of us saw as crucial.  To do these kinds of
boring jobs, one has to feel a commitment to the organization.
Unfortunately, that commitment seems to be in short supply.

I am amazed that Rod can continue to do as much work as he does,
and still try to make the remaining volunteers feel like it is
worth their time to contribute.

As for the Audubon Society -- yes, I was on the board when they
made the switch -- and those people are NOT sweet little twittery twittery
birds -- think "shrikes" and you're closer to the mark.  It was
a very difficult time.  But that's not SCN's problem today.  And
not for the foreseeable future.

I took Nan's training for the AmeriCorps literacy group -- and
one of her principal messages was, "There's important work to
do here" for every volunteer.  Maybe it's time to ask the
volunteers -- "What is important?" and if it's important,
"Do you feel satisfaction in a job well done?"

And I think those questions need to be addressed at the
board level, as well, in a slightly different format.  "What
are we asking our volunteers to do?" and "Why should they
want to do it?"

Lorraine