WEB: But we are talking about a volunteer program here...

Rod Clark bb615 at scn.org
Tue Jul 20 14:44:00 PDT 1999

> A small correction here.  I do not believe the registration process
> has ever been more efficient than when I (as a volunteer) was
> processing registrations.

Lorraine,

   But your tenure was a stretch of good results in a much
longer and sometimes less satisfactory and patchier history.

   Why did someone with your abilities have to be used for that
kind of secretarial work, so that it would turn out well with
any consistency? It was because anyone with lesser abilities
wouldn't have been able to continually counteract the forces of
entropy on all sides that surrounded the volunteer version of
that task.

   By comparison, once set up and running well at the little
service company, registration is likely never to experience the
kind of abrupt discontinuities, unforeseen delays and myriad
other problems that beset it when volunteers were coming and
going and accidentally forgetting that it wasn't a good idea to
turn things upside down every other alternate Tuesday when the
moon was full.

Rod