WEB: But we are talking about a volunteer program here...

Rich Littleton be718 at scn.org
Wed Jul 21 00:01:02 PDT 1999

I like Rod's imagery, but I think I'd go down Llorraine's route.  I think
most of the chaos you point to (correctly) stems not from the fact of a
volunteer crew, but from the vagueness of SCN(A)'s vision, as formulated
(or not) by the board.

I think our difficulty in developing a continuity among our volunteers is
due to managment weaknesses.  Apparently, there is no organizational
list of priorities proposed by the board (and submitted to the
membership?).  I've requested one several times and not heard anyhing.

For all the HUGE amount of effort given to SCN(A), it is not well focused.

Communication in the organization is a weak point.  (Still no minutes, nor
any advance board agenda notification.)

So, before we evaluate the ups and downs of the past as inevitable, we
have to get a clearer management vision at the board level, and that does
not relate to paid staff.

BTW, Llorraine did do an excellent job at registration, and this has two
significant values.  (1) the registration was done very well, and (2) she
showed that is in fact COULD be done by one person.  This should tell us
that it could be done even easier by a well-coordinated team of 3-4.

However, I do not mean to challenge our current method which appears to be
doing well.  I simply mean to point out that Llorraine showed us a well
functioning ALL VOLUNTEER efficiency that supports the idea that it can
succeed.

Rich

*****  Unless stated otherwise, this message may be forwarded.  ******