WEB: Re: But we are talking about a volunteer program here...

Rod Clark bb615 at scn.org
Thu Jul 22 13:24:53 PDT 1999

Lorraine,

   Here's how things work now (I think).

1) "Uh-oh. There's a problem," says the service co. employee
    who's handling registrations.

2) "OK. I'll fix that," says the service co. manager.

3) "Darn. I can't fix that," says the service co. manager.

4) "Hello? This is Gianni," says SCN's more-or-less-equivalent
of an Executive Director. "OK. I'll fix that."

5) "Robert," (or whichever appropriate volunteer(s) it is, "can
   we come up with a way to do that?" says the ED.

6) "Sure," says Robert or the other volunteer(s). "It's fixed
   now."

7) "Hello, this is the service co." says the manager.

8) "Hi. This is Gianni. We've fixed that. Now we'll do such-and-such
   instead."

9) "Great. Much better. Thank you," says the service co. manager.

10) "OK, we're going to do it this way now," says the service
    co. manager to the employee. "I've written it down for you."

11) "Oh, good. That's much better. Thank you," says the
    employee.

12) "Hi. I'm leaving to run off with Vladimir to Moscow!" says
    the employee.

13) "It's been a pleasure working with you," says the manager.
    "Don't forget some old newspapers to stuff in your boots."

14) "Welcome aboard, Martha. I'm sure it'll be a pleasure
    working woth you. This is the procedure for handling SCN
    registrations. I've written it down for you."

   Here's what happened when you were doing it (I think).

1) "Uh-oh. There's a problem," says you.

2) "OK. I'll fix that," says you.

3) "Darn. I can't fix that," says you.

4) "Robert," (or whichever appropriate volunteer(s) it is, "can
   we come up with a way to do that?" says you.

5) "Sure," says Robert or the other volunteer(s). "It's fixed
   now."

6) "Oh, good. That's much better. Thank you," says you.

7) "Hi. I'm leaving to run off with Vladimir to Moscow!" says
   you.

8) "What happens if I have a problem?" says the next volunteer.
   "What do you mean, just figure out everything and fix it?
   What if I don't know everything I need to know? This is
   harder than you think!"

9) "It would be nice if, in addition to your other duties, you
   could write up all the procedures for what you're doing,
   since we don't really have them written down in their current
   form," says the Vol Coord. "And keep it up to date every time
   anyone changes anything."

10) "I quit! I'm running off to Albania with Andrei, just to get
    away from you people!" says the next volunteer.

Rod Clark