art333

Kurt Cockrum kurt
Mon May 24 15:32:05 PDT 1999

	<Pine.SUN.3.96.990524114100.12087D-100000 at scn>

Dave Levinger said:
>For spam protection on SCN lists, the easiest form of spam prevention is to
>only allow postings from list members, with approval required by the
>moderator for non-members' postings.

I think that's how the hardware list is configured and has been.
I believe that it's the default anyway for all the lists.
Non-member *postings* were never an issue, AFAIK.  Judging from
the mj log entry I posted earlier (most of you never saw that, since it
was directed to hardware only; see below), where art333 got our mj help speil,
they were apparently able to exploit vulnerabilities we don't know anything
about.  User activity *is* being logged:
	May 23 23:01:50 scn majordomo[15169] {art333 at collegemail.com} help
If he joined any lists, we'd see it.  Unless the guy's so good he's
*selectively* editing the logfile, *leaving* his help-request, but *deleting*
the list-joining traces.  That seems kinda far-fetched to me...
I did find a bunch of world-read perms in a bunch of mailing lists, which I
fixec, but *some* of the spammed lists *didn't* have world-read perms.
So that wasn't the exploit.
--kurt