Kindly notify

Rod Clark bb615 at scn.org
Tue May 25 10:22:57 PDT 1999

> cd /web.root/arts/spt/
> and it didn't respond.
>
> I managed, in the usual try-anything manner, to find out that now this
> file is
> /web/arts/spt
>
> I reallly DON'T appreciate having NO notification of this.  ALL IPS SHOULD
> HAVE BEEN NOTIFIED IF YOU ARE CHANGING DIRECTORY NAMES.

Barb,

   Please try doing "cd /web.root/arts/spt" again. It should
work the same way as always. If not, let us know.

   The two directory names /web and /web.root have been
interchangeable for a long time. They're two names for the same
file directory. I don't remember when we started allowing the
simpler form, but it was probably a couple of years ago. Either
one works as well as the other, everywhere in the system. You
don't need to change anything, and can continue using /web.root
as always.

   The /web name is the one that's printed on the screen when
you do a "pwd" to print the name of the current directory. We've
been reducing the number of places that the old "/web.root"
syntax is used, for some time now. The "pwd" command has been
displaying /web as the preferred name for the directory since
early this year.

   The help file about this is on the Help menu in the
Information Providers section, as "How to Set Up Your
Information Provider Web Site". Please see

        http://www.scn.org/help/publish/ipweb.html

   Maybe we should periodically send that file to everybody in
e-mail, when paragraphs in it that describe various features are
updated, but people also tend to complain about receiving
un-asked-for e-mail. Would you mind receiving a monthly
Information Provider bulletin in e-mail? If enough people don't
object, maybe that would be a good idea.

Rod Clark