scn [spam]

J. Johnson jj at scn.org
Thu May 27 17:05:09 PDT 1999

Perhaps I need to point out that what Karen said and what I said are not
in conflict, _provided_ that one distinguishes between ISPs that are
responsible and responsive (albeit glacially), and those that are not.  I
am quite willing to condone the reverse spamming of the latter.  But I
cannot condone the automatic reverse spamming of an ISP who just happened
to carry (and possibly quite innocently) a spam message.  Especially as
spammers often use fictitious headers (i.e., return addresses).  In the
best case this "only" jams the postmaster (or 'root') account on your own
system.  Worse, you may end up dumping on a totally innocent user/ISP.

If a user has sufficient skill to determine the ISP that a spammer
actually used to connect to the Internet, then the most effective action
to take is to _forward_ the spam, with "full headers", to that ISP so they
can identify the source.  If the user does not have that much skill (i.e.,
most users) then the best action is probably to just delete the message.