Server wars

Steve steve at advocate.net
Thu Nov 18 21:39:49 PST 1999

x-no-archive: yes

==========================

Just how close did we come to a Net ruled by Microsoft? The "server
wars" show a grim counterpart to the browser wars.

by Tim O'Reilly
Salon.com

In the study of history, it is often the things you don't notice that
make all the difference. Connie Willis' wonderful time-travel
mystery, "To Say Nothing of the Dog," posits that the entire course
of World War II might have depended on such small details as a cat
saved from drowning, a missed train and a nosy church warden. In a
similar way, I find myself fascinated by the untold story of what we
might call the war for the Web.

The Justice Department's antitrust suit and Judge Jackson's finding
of fact have focused on how Microsoft used its operating system
dominance to wrest control of the Web browser market from
Netscape. Perhaps even more significant is the untold story of
Microsoft's attempts to corner the Web server market. As someone
whose company competes directly with Microsoft, (we sell a Web
server called WebSite that runs on Windows NT, and we are active
in promoting Perl, Linux and other open-source technologies), I've
been privy to some of the not-so-small details that have guided the
course of this recent history. And, it seems to me that if it weren't for
the work of a small group of independent open-source software
developers, the Justice Department intervention might have come
too late not just for Netscape but the Web as a whole.

In his findings Judge Jackson made the astute point that the browser
is a kind of middleware and, though it uses the features of the
operating system, it provides additional "applications programming
interfaces" (API) of its own. The most familiar of these aren't APIs
like Win32, which describes how to write programs for Windows, but
rather languages and protocols like HTML, Javascript and HTTP.
Anyone who runs a Web site is intimately familiar with the attempts
by both Microsoft and Netscape to turn these open standards to their
advantage by introducing proprietary incompatibilities into the
version of HTML recognized by their browsers. But the APIs that
have turned out to matter don't just reside in the browser.

Judge Jackson's analysis completely avoided the server side of the
equation -- and it is the server which has turned out to be the real
next-generation platform. When Judge Jackson talks about
applications and APIs, he's clearly still thinking about Office-style
desktop applications residing on the PC, albeit running in the
browser rather than directly on the native operating system. Yet the
most interesting new applications of the past few years don't reside
on the PC at all, but on remote Web servers. I'm talking about
Amazon.com, eBay, E-Trade, Yahoo Maps and so on.

The server side of the Web is the new platform that Microsoft was
rightly afraid of.

The government's case didn't focus on the server side because
Microsoft doesn't hold a monopoly position there. Browser-access
statistics prove fairly conclusively that even in Netscape's heyday,
the majority of clients were running on the Windows platform. But on
the server side, the dominant market share belonged -- and still
belongs -- to UNIX-based servers, particularly the open-source
Apache Web server and its derivatives.

Microsoft might argue that the importance of Apache and server-side
technologies like Perl, PHP and Java servlets demonstrate that
competition abounds, and that as a result, Microsoft doesn't have an
effective monopoly. But the situation is more complex than that. The
company clearly has a monopoly on client-side operating systems
and has consistently tried to use that monopoly to extend its
leverage to any new platform it can.

In fact, the rise of Microsoft's Internet Information Server (IIS) as the
dominant Web server on NT shows much the same pattern as the
rise of IE as the dominant browser: Microsoft got pole position by
exercising its unique leverage as an operating system vendor.

Originally IIS, Web server software that runs only on the NT
operating system, was bundled "free" with a version of NT called NT
Server. Web server vendors such as Netscape and O'Reilly
responded by pointing out in our advertising and PR that if
customers ran our third-party Web server software on NT
Workstation (a less expensive version of NT, which came without
the IIS Web server software), they would end up with a more
powerful server than Microsoft's IIS running on NT Server -- and it
would cost less too.

Much as it had done by bundling the browser with Windows 98,
Microsoft was bundling an application -- the IIS Web server -- as part
of an operating system, (NT Server). But in this case, the company
offered another version of the same operating system without the
bundle, (NT Workstation). It seemed natural to competitors to offer
our products on top of the version of the operating system that came
without IIS.

It did not, however, please Microsoft that we did so. In June 1996
Microsoft responded by changing the license to NT Workstation to
prohibit its use as a server platform. (At first, the company went
further, and actually crippled the version of TCP/IP provided in NT
Workstation, but the outcry from users forced it to backtrack.)

Microsoft argued, quite rightly, that it had the right to create two
different versions of NT, with different price points, and different
functionality. But the company went a step further, and used its
operating system license (and more specifically the license to the
parts of the operating system that implemented TCP/IP, an industry
standard protocol) to prohibit the use of third-party applications that
duplicated the functionality of Microsoft's more expensive platform.

Microsoft's public rationale for the policy -- that it was protecting its
customers because NT Workstation was not suitable for use as a
server operating system -- was proven false by my colleague,
former O'Reilly editor Andrew Schulman (working with Mark
Russinovich). Shulman and Russinovich demonstrated that it was
possible to convert NT Workstation to NT Server by changing only a
few registry entries. NT Workstation contained all of the same
program code as NT Server; the code was simply disabled, and
some additional applications bundled.

It's unfortunate that Judge Jackson wasn't aware of this 1996 use of
the registry to suppress NT Server functionality in NT Workstation.
He might have enjoyed the irony of Microsoft's complaint about a
Justice Department attempt to disable Internet Explorer in Windows
98:

"Microsoft contends that [the Justice Department consultant,
Princeton University Professor Edward] Felten's prototype removal
program does not remove Internet Explorer's Web browsing
functionalities, but rather 'hides' those functionalities from the
perspective of the user," reads paragraph 183 of Judge Jackson's
findings. "In support of that contention, Microsoft points out that
Felten's program removes only a small fraction of the code in
Windows 98, so that the hard drive still contains almost all of the
code that had been executed in the course of providing Internet
Explorer's Web browsing functionalities."

This is just what Microsoft itself did on NT three years earlier. If
editing the registry to hide functionality, and offering two versions of
an operating system -- one with, and one without a bundled
application -- was an acceptable business strategy then, why was it
not possible to do the same thing to produce a version of Windows
98 without an integrated browser?

The main point is that in each case, Microsoft used its power over
the operating system to tilt the playing field in its favor, doing its
utmost to crush the competition in a hotly contested Internet
application area. In the browser arena, Microsoft bundled a browser
into the operating system that runs most of the world's PCs and then
created obstacles for Netscape to package its browser on new PCs.
In the server arena, Microsoft used a very similar tactic; it bundled
the IIS Web server software with the NT operating system and then
created roadblocks and financial disincentives for NT users to use
alternate server applications. As a result, Microsoft was able to
reserve the greatest slice of Web server space on NT for itself.

But Microsoft's operating system is not nearly as entrenched in the
server world as it is in that of the PC. So, once the company
effectively blocked third-party Web server vendors on NT, Microsoft
next set its sights not just on servers that ran NT, but on all Web
servers. It was widely reported that during the summer of 1996 (that
same summer that Microsoft revised its NT Workstation license to
disallow its use as a server platform), Bill Gates told securities
analysts that he considered Apache, rather than Netscape, to be his
company's chief competitor in the Web server space. And of course,
by then, he was right.

Microsoft's IIS is today the number two Web server -- with 25
percent market share to Apache's 54 percent, according to an
October survey conducted by Netcraft. But for the Justice
Department scrutiny, might not Microsoft have mounted an all-out
attack next on the open source technologies and open protocols of
the Web?

The infamous "Halloween Documents," internal Microsoft
documents analyzing a possible response to Linux describe a
strategy of "extending" the "commodity protocols" on which open
source projects depend, as a way of denying open source an entry
into the market.

Whether or not the same tricks Microsoft used against Netscape in
both the browser and server markets would have worked against
Apache, we'll never know. However, it is clear that if not for Apache's
continued dominance on the server side, the protocols and APIs on
which the Web depends would have belonged almost entirely to
Redmond. (The Apache Group's firm embrace of open standards is
one of the great unsung stories of the Web, and a key part of the
magic that has kept its innovation alive.)

I don't think people realize just how close we came to a Microsoft-
dominated Web. If Microsoft, having trounced Netscape, hadn't been
surprised by the unexpected strength of Apache, Perl, FreeBSD and
Linux, I can easily imagine a squeeze play on Web protocols and
standards, which would have allowed Microsoft to dictate terms to
the Web developers who are currently inventing the next generation
of computer applications.

It reminds me a bit of World War II. France (Netscape) has fallen,
and the Battle of Britain is being fought for the Web, with the
stalwart resistance of the Apache Group holding up the juggernaut
till the rest of the free world can get its act together. Whether Linux
and the rest of the open source movement, or the Justice
Department and the courts, play the role of America, I leave to
history to determine.

Copyright © 1999 Salon.com