WTO

Steve steve at advocate.net
Fri Nov 19 07:34:52 PST 1999

-------Forwarded Message-------

From: The Nation Magazine <emailnation at thenation.com>

The Nation has just published its WTO special issue, now available
at http://thenation.com. The issue looks to Seattle with John Nichols'
survey of activist plans (from the AFL-CIO's march through
downtown to a caravan of costumed turtles), Robert Weissman's
tale of how the business community is getting ready for Seattle (no
turtle costumes here but lots of money and access), Robert
Borosage's dose of historical perspective, Cong. Dennis Kucinich's
look at how the WTO handcuffs government from protecting
consumers and establishing environmental standards, Sarah
Anderson and John Cavanagh's debunking of ten myths regarding
globalization and Doug Henwood's forum exploring the range of
progressive thought regarding the WTO and globalization.

The Nation will be in Seattle distributing this issue and participating
in numerous other activities during the WTO week. We're co-
sponsoring a debate on globalization at 7:30 on Tuesday, November
30 at Town Hall in Seattle. Ralph Nader, John Cavanagh and
Vandana Shiva will face off against Jagdish Bhagwati, a prominent
political scientist, Scott Allen, an executive at Procter & Gamble and
David Aaron, an official in the Commerce Department. This will be at
Town Hall in Seattle at 1119 8th Avenue. For tickets and information
call 415-771-8094 or go to http://www.ifg.org.

RadioNation will be broadcasting the debate along with a series of
daily radio shows which we'll broadcast nationally over the NPR
satellite. We're furiously trying to convince public radio stations to
carry this programming so if you happen to work at a station or have
any contacts at one, pls. pass this information on to the appropriate
people.

We're also going to be involved in many of the other events and
marches at the summit. We'll be distributing our special WTO issue,
passing out information on our website and radio show, offering
discount subscriptions and recording interesting events and
happenings.

If you'll be in Seattle, please come visit us at the United Methodist
Church. The Church will be the main arena for anti-WTO activities
and the Nation will have a table there pretty much continuously
during the week of November 29. But, whether you'll be there or not,
please check out what's at http://www.thenation.com when you have
a chance. And, if you find a particular article particularly interesting,
please use our Email-To-A-Friend feature to send it along to
someone else who also might appreciate it.

Best regards,

Peter Rothberg, Associate Publisher