Web site design

Steve steve at advocate.net
Fri Nov 19 17:07:06 PST 1999

x-no-archive: yes

=======================

When Bad Design Elements Become the Standard

(Jakob Nielsen's Alertbox: excerpts)---Web design is easy: If you are
thinking about how to design a certain page element, all you have to
do is to look at the twenty most-visited sites on the Internet and see
how they do it.

If 90% or more of the big sites do things in a single way, then this is
the de-facto standard and you have to comply. Only deviate from a
design standard if your alternative design has at least 100% higher
measured usability.

If 60-90% of the big sites do things in a single way, then this is a
strong convention and you should comply unless your alternative
design has at least 50% higher measured usability.

If less than 60% of the big sites do things in a single way, then there
are no dominant conventions yet and you are free to design in an
alternative way. Even so, if there are a few options, each of which
are used by at least 20% of big sites, you should limit yourself to
choosing one of these reasonably well-known designs unless your
alternative design has at least 25% higher measured usability than
the best of the choices used by the big sites.

Admittedly, the percentages in this list are my own best guesses.
There is currently too little research on consistency theory to know
exactly how many sites it takes for a certain design element to
reach the level of a convention or a standard. Similarly, we don't
know exactly how much it harms users to deviate from the two
levels of expectations, though it is absolutely certain that it does
hurt.

Therefore, I recommend following the conventions even in those
cases where a different design would be better if seen in isolation.
The fact is, no website is seen in isolation: users come to your site
expecting things to work the same way they are already used to.

Of course, the truth is that web design is difficult, because the main
issues concern information architecture and task flow, neither of
which can be standardized. Both vary greatly from site to site
because they relate to the specific nature of the information and the
problems the site is trying to support.

The mother of bad web design conventions is the decision to make
hypertext links blue. Other colors would have been a better choice
and would have increased the reading speed of the anchor text by a
few percent. It is unfortunate to put the most important text on the
page in a color that is known to reduce readability.

If we were designing the Web from scratch, I would recommend
using a different link color than blue. Since we are designing sites
for the Web as it exists, I retain my recommendation to leave the
standard link colors alone:

Blue text means "click here" on the Web, so by keeping unvisited
links blue, there is no doubt in users' minds as to what they can do.
The time they save by knowing what to do on a page is probably
much bigger than the time they lose by having the few words in the
hypertext anchors be a few milliseconds slower to read. Even more
important, knowing the difference between unvisited (blue) and
previously visited (purple) links helps users understand the
structure of the website and their own navigation history. On sites
that change the colors, we often observe users revisiting the same
pages again and again because they do not realize that they have
already seen those pages. The added confusion, substantial
navigation delays, and reduced probability of ever finding the right
page are all very severe usability penalties from changing the
default link colors.

In the last two years, many sites have started placing a horizontal
set of tabs across the top of the screen to indicate the main areas of
their information architecture. In principle, this is a bad design and
an abuse of the tab metaphor.

Tabs are supposed to be used for rapid switching between
alternative views of the same information object. For example, a site
may have a standardized information architecture for product
descriptions, with an overview page, a detailed specification,
enlarged photos, and several other views. It would be very
appropriate to use tabs to switch between the alternatives while
retaining the main context and illusion of being at a single location
on the site.

Once users are deep inside a certain area of the site, tabs lose their
meaning if they take users to another area of the site but do not
preserve context in any meaningful ways. Such jumps are simply
standardized navigation and should use a regular list of alternative
links.

I maintain that tabs would be better used for switching between
alternative (but related) views than for navigating to unrelated
locations. But unfortunately, users will soon lose any understanding
they may have had of tabs as a special design element if more and
more sites keep abusing tabs.

I still think that less than 50% of sites use tabs in the (erroneous)
meaning of navigating to the main sections of the site. Thus, I still
think that the correct use of tabs is preferred and I recommend using
different techniques to visualize the main areas of the site. But this
may be a losing battle and I may have to revise this
recommendation in a year or so if more and more sites adopt a
misguided use of tabs.

The "Yellow Fever" design style was introduced by CNET, and has
since spread to so many sites that it has become a fairly strong
convention: have a colored stripe down the left side of the page to
contain the main navigation links.

I have never been a great fan of this design approach because the
colored navigation rail takes up about 20% of the pixels on the
screen, even after the user has scrolled to the bottom of the page.
Navigation is a secondary concern for users who are on the Web for
the content.

Interestingly, CNET itself abandoned the Yellow Fever in 1999 and
now uses a design where the navigation links are concentrated on
the top of the page, leaving the rest of the screen available for
content.

But there are still so many sites that use a colored navigation rail
that I view it as an interaction convention: users know what to do
with a colored stripe down the side of the page. It may waste pixels,
but it probably helps users.

Two things that are absolutely clear is that the navigation rail has to
have some kind of colored background to set it aside from the
content and that it has to be on the left side of the page. There are a
few usability reasons why it would have been better to have the
navigation rail on the right side of the page:

Fitts' Law dictates that shorter mouse movements are better: it is
always faster to click a target if it is closer to your starting position.
Thus, placing the navigation rail next to the scroll bar will usually
save users time over placing these two frequently-accessed areas
on opposite sides of the window. Users always look at the content
first when they encounter a new web page, so it would be better if
the content started at the left border of the window (for users in
cultures that read left-to-right). After the users are done with the
content, their gaze could naturally shift to the right to decide where
to go next. In contrast, placing the navigation rail to the left requires
users to skip over it before they can start scanning the content area.

If we were starting from scratch, we might improve the usability of a
site by 1% or so by having a navigation rail on the right rather than
on the left. But deviating from the standard would almost certainly
impose a much bigger cost in terms of confusion and reduced ability
to navigate smoothly.

Many websites are starting to supply a breadcrumb trail across the
top of the page to situate the current page relative to its parent
nodes and to allow users to jump up several levels in a single click.

Breadcrumb trails only work for sites with a hierarchical information
architecture, but they do facilitate navigation in such sites. They
would help even more if they were available on more sites so that
users could get used to relying on them.

There is no standard for how to indicate the progression between the
levels of the hierarchy in a breadcrumb trail. My own site has used
an arrow for the last four years. Before then I used a colon, as
currently used by CNET. Yahoo and ZDNet both use a > sign, and
yet other sites use a slash. There is no standard and there is no
real reason to believe that any of these symbols is much better than
the others.

If a single symbol ever gained enough prominence to be used on
more than 60% of the sites, then I would surely recommend using
that. Right now, I would say that : > / and arrows are all equally
good. But don't start using yet another symbol. For example, the
vertical bar | is reserved for alternative choices and should not be
used to indicate a progression.