BD: Background Checks

Kenneth Crandall grayfox at foxinternet.net
Sat Oct 23 11:38:19 PDT 1999

I work with SeniorNet of Puget Sound.  We have a facility on a Bellevue
Elementary school campus.  Everyone in our organization, who works in this
facility, are required to undergo this screening process.  It is painless as
it is run by the Bellevue school district.

I do not consider these painless processes, that have been developed to help
insure the safety of our children, to be a "police state" mentality.
Whenever we read about attacks on children, the question is always raised by
the public, "Why wasn't something done to protect them?".  This is the
something.

SCN should consider it's goals and objectives before similar screening
should be proposed for it's volunteers.  If some volunteers will be working
directly with children or disabled people (and I hope they would), then it
is possible that screening should be considered for these volunteers only.

The fact that we are teaching at a public library is not adequate to prevent
the need for screening since liaisons can be setup to occur outside of the
library.  It should be simple enough to get guidance from the Washington
State Patrol, who conduct these screenings, to determine if some of our
volunteers would have to be screened.
									Ken Crandall
									bd252 at scn.org