Background checks

Rod Clark bb615 at scn.org
Sun Oct 24 11:01:36 PDT 1999

> This is a standard that we will have to impose on ourselves or face
> the reality of a dwindling support from our users and corperate
> supporters.
>
> The standard is that of outside influence.... and given the nature
> of our history we have always been affected by that force.
>
> Janos

Janos,

   You might be speaking of history in general. But SCN has no
real corporate supporters, as such. A few people like Sharma
(Affinity Something-or-other) and the League of Women Voters and
the Betty and Liz Foundation and Amnesty International and a
science supplies shop in the U District and a computer shop in
Ballard and a few other people and small businesses that I can't
recall right now have each donated a few hundred bucks to
sponsor a phone line from time to time. That's about it. We've
never heard a peep out of any of them about SCN's policies
(except for Sharma, who's on the board and only lately decided
to sponsor a phone line). If anything, it's more likely that the
SCNA board would politely tell the phone sponsors to go jump in
the nearest lake if they complained about SCN's policies. And as
far as I know, the members of the SCN Association aren't in any
hurry to elect anyone who has the opposite view.

Rod Clark