Background Screening Mechanisms

Rich Littleton be718 at scn.org
Thu Oct 28 20:09:52 PDT 1999

I agree.  SCNA is lean in that area presently.  Areas at one point that
fit this category were:

*  e-mail teaching
*  providing a user-friendly e-mail program for people who only use SCN
*  teaching other computer skills
*  supplying computers to the community
*  lobbying in city, county, state and national governments
*  lobbying public opinion with letters to the editor
*  lobbying public opinion with a speakers bureau for talk to civic
   organizations

Those are all hurting (most are non-existent) projects.  (e-mail has 6-7
active teacher.)  The only lobbying I've heard of is sporadic visits to
city council meetings and a very rare visit to Olympia.

Soooooo, Janos is right.  Social responsibility SHOULD be SCN'S role.  We
need vols to go all the stuff that needds to be done.  (Another reason I'm
not big on adding yet another hoop for vols to jump through UNLESS
ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.)

Later,

Rich

*****  Unless stated otherwise, this message may be forwarded.  ******