A possible hidden reason behind the abrupt end of the SSC construction?

T. Duong tuanmd at u.washington.edu
Sat Sep 4 06:02:57 PDT 1999

Dear professor Brian Greene,

I have heard a Nobel prize nominee on the Art Bell radio program warned
that high energy collision in particle accerelator may produce a supernova
like explosion (as large as 50 light years in diameter.)

I hope you can give us some assurance that this kind of catastrophe is
unlikely.

I remember my physics teacher said that cosmic rays do have much higher
energy (than any particle in accelerators) so we don't need to worry since
there should be collisions of particles in space with higher energy than
in the labs. Is this kind of reasoning still valid with any SSC that can
be built?

Thanks in advance,
Tuan

------News article found on the Internet-------
In July, the director of Brookhaven National Laboratory on
Long Island, N.Y., finally got around to forming a committee of
physicists to explore whether the lab's replication of the
world-forming Big Bang, scheduled for later in 1999, could
possibly backfire and destroy the Earth. Full nuclear collisions
by the lab's Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider will start in the fall,
building to the Big Bang. Some physicists believe there is a
small chance that the machine could create new kinds of
matter or form mini-"black holes" and suck in all surrounding
matter.