Why have we not upgraded Lynx? (fwd)

Andrew Higgins bb156 at scn.org
Wed Feb 9 23:51:22 PST 2000

Mel,

Maybe you mistook the core meaning of my message. I am (idly) wondering
about a Lynx 2.8.2 upgrade. I am _asking_ for immediate action on the SSL
patch to permit users a range of services not currently available to
them with the limitations of our current browser.

SCN's Hardware-Software Committee does not have the greatest track record
for timely system upgrades. A short list -

Users enjoy:

Pine 3.96 released 2/28/97 the latest is 4.21 released 11/17/97 with 8
interim releases.

Lynx 2.7.2 1/06/98 current is 2.8.2  6/01/099

Freeport newsreader pre-1990 (no longer supported) current version of tin
nr is 1.4.2 2/05/00

Users do _not_ enjoy:

TCP/IP
Slip/PPP

Visible either dimly in the mealy-mouthed, might be happening morning
mist; or the foggy, fuhgeddaboudit Y3K future.

All I'm asking for is a *patch* to the existing browser so I can access
services elsewhere.

-Andrew

P.S. Freeport death knell 8/18/94
http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/ip/freenet/conferences/com-net94/reports/future_dir.txt

2¢
2¢ Hi Guys -
2¢
2¢ I know you have lots of sys upgrades in the works - is this one of them?
2¢ Should it be, or will other upgrades negate its need?
2¢
2¢  - Mel
2¢
2¢ 2¢
2¢ 2¢ There is a newer version of Lynx (2.8.2) available, why have we not
2¢ 2¢ upgraded? Even if that is not to happen soon, would it be possible to add
2¢ 2¢ the SSL patch for Lynx 2.7.2 available below?
2¢ 2¢
2¢ 2¢        Link: SSLeay.announce
2¢ 2¢         URL: http://cryptography.org/crypto/oWphTqwr/SSL/SSLeay.announce
2¢ 2¢
2¢ 2¢        Link: Index of /crypto/oWphTqwr/SSL
2¢ 2¢         URL: http://cryptography.org/crypto/oWphTqwr/SSL/
2¢ 2¢
2¢ 2¢ -Andrew
2¢ 2¢