Spam from/about connected user (Subject: aviation)

Scot Harkins on SCN.org scoth at scn.org
Tue Feb 15 11:00:46 PST 2000

Well, there's three basic steps: file the case, get a judgement, collect the
money.

Filing the case costs money.  Not a lot, but it does cost.  We can ask for
recovery of court costs as part of the settlement, so the filing fee would
become part of the amount awarded.

Getting a judgement involves proving the case with respect to the law.  A
prudent person would easily be able to find out that scn at scn.org is an email
address in Seattle, Washington.  We could prove it and probably get a
judgement, especially if uncontested, which most of these probably would be.

The biggest trick is finding out who to sue.  Can't sue if you don't know
who to sue.

Collecting the money may be a problem.  We can use the services of
collection agencies.  They would get their fees from the collection, _if_
they get any money.  If the debtor is a corporation, and that corporation
goes away, it's just like trying to get money from a dead person.

We could pursue spammers, but we would have to know who they are and we'd
have to find a way to get the money from them, _if_ they have any money.
The best scenario is a business that decided to spam but cannot afford to
close the corporation.  The next best scenario is a judgement against and
individual, allowing us to enter the judgement (until paid) on their credit
records, pretty much barring them from getting loans.

'tain't easy.  We'd have to pick our fights carefully.

Scot

--
Scot Harkins (KA5KDU) | Systems Administrator, Thurman Ind, Bothell, WA
North Bend, WA        | Native Texan firmly planted in Western Washington