SCN: too much funny business and cognitive dissonance going on here

Kurt Cockrum kurt at grogatch.seaslug.org
Mon Feb 21 08:40:13 PST 2000

I recently resurfaced after a long hiatus (not long enough, I'm
afraid) and went to a Hardware Committee meeting where I learned that
Rich Littleton is *sueing* various of the current Board of Directors
(and their spouses, too!), to the tune of around $50K or so.  I also
learned that the reason that I hadn't heard anything up to now on this
wire was because the BOD is constrained by legal advice from talking
about it publicly.  But this shouldn't constrain the *rest* of the SCN
community from talking about it, maybe not a bit too soon.

Now at the same time I see postings from Rich to both this list and
the hardware list which appear to be "business as usual", which show
his apparent concern with the smooth running of the organization, with
no hint that the poster is involved in an adverse action against the
organization sponsoring those lists.

This is *way* too much cognitive dissonance for me to accept
from a candidate to a high position.  Frankly I don't see how that
candidate could ever function effectively, after having so effectively
self-{neutralized,destructed}.

Of course, I also know that it's possible to simultaneously believe 2
(or more) mutually contradictory things, even without drugs.  Orwell named
(but didn't invent) the concept, called "doublethink".

Rich, before your imminent self-immolation, would you care to explain
yourself??
--kurt