SCN: Re: Go with Al's Plan

Al Boss alboss at scn.org
Mon Jul 3 13:17:19 PDT 2000

>From what he's said in previous messages, Rich has stuck his neck out
because he believes that our process is broken. He chose a lawsuit because
he felt he had been left with no other way to get us to review the way we
do things.

What I offer via dispute resolution is an alternative that still provides
the impartial, mutually respected third-party review that the court could
give.

Just for the record, my suggestion for dispute resolution was not about
indemnification or insurance against lawsuit. I had thought that the issue
was a volunteer who believed he had not been treated properly in his
dismissal, and what can be done to resolve this issue. That's the dispute
I think we'd all like to see resolved.

I don't think Rich meant to frame the issue as a lawsuit about who Rich
can sue, or whether or not a volunteer who gets sued for volunteering
should have to pay their own way in court. I thought I understood that
those were secondary to a lawsuit that arose from the feeling of having no
other valid choices to review the dismissal procedure (or lack of same),
and fix it.

Rich, I know the issue is a lot more complicated than this, but I hope
I've at least got the spirit of what the issue is about--your desire to
give SCN an opportunity to improve its processes, in spite of itself. If
that's really what it boils down to, I think dispute resolution can help
you be heard, without damaging the organization you've spent so much time
volunteering for--and with luck, improving it.

Since that's not one of the two issues you thought I was suggesting for
dispute resolution, to make sure I'm being fair to you I need to ask my
"yes or no" question again--is this an option you can commit to? Does
anyone else out there see any obvious reasons why we shouldn't try dispute
resolution outside the courts?

Al