SCN: Re: OPS: A Preliminary Review of SSL

Andrew Higgins bb156 at scn.org
Wed Mar 1 17:31:37 PST 2000

2¢
2¢    This may be true. But quite a number of responsibly run sites
2¢ do use LynxSSL. What exact steps would SCN have to undertake
2¢ before it could run LynxSSL with good results?
2¢
2¢ Rod
2¢

 JJ,

 First I'd like to thank you for the research into the question of SSL. I
 appreciate very much the time you spent looking into it.

 I too wonder if there is something inherently unique or different about
 SCN's platform or structure that precludes implementation of SSL. If so
 what is it and how can we move beyond it.

 Rod mentions other systems that are using LynxSSL, perhaps some of them
 on a Unix platform. We might consult with them on how they are doing it.

 Or is it necessary to move to Linux or FreeBSD? There are plans afoot to
 do just that I believe. In the interim, why is a widely used and accepted
 standard for encryption unequivocally unsuitable for SCN?

 -Andrew