SCN: Re: WEB: Info request

Randy Groves randy at scn.org
Thu Mar 2 09:51:28 PST 2000

What are you trying to do?  If all you want to do is set up a web site and
drive a fairly small database, then all you need would be Windows 2000
server and Access 2000.  All the other stuff in BackOffice is overkill -
and BackOffice won't run on Windows 2000 for some months.

I would definitely start out with Windows 2000.  It is much more stable,
and the support of additional drivers and other devices is fairly
automatic.

There is a concern, however as to the size of your machine.  I have run
Windows 2000 on a Pentium 133 with success.  It is somewhat slow, but runs
just fine.  You will need at LEAST 128 MB of memory, more if you can get
it.

If you are going to try ANY Windows variant on a slower machine with less
memory - you will be disappointed.

-randy