SCN: Responsibility (was: Re: A Preliminary Review of SSL)

Rod Clark bb615 at scn.org
Fri Mar 3 19:06:06 PST 2000

> (I believe Rod was looking at having /home0 moved to a larger
> partition. Well, that's a possible solution, albeit temporary, and
> I believe Randy has been considering that. But my point remains:
> neither Randy, nor I, nor anyone else is required to do anything
> about this problem.)

JJ,

   Several of the empty homeN partitions are each twice as large
as the current home0/ parition. It's taken six years to fill up
the current one, mostly with with all the mailing list archives.
I'd be happy enough if a "temporary" doubling of the available
space would last for another two years, or even one year.

   The point is that this is an immediate problem that is
impacting mail service. Randy is on vacation in the San Juans or
somewhere until next week. This is obviously something that
Randy would do, on a normal day. And I can see from your message
that you would like to fix it if you could. But I can also see
(or guess) that you consider this a job for someone more
knowledgeable about how this particular machine is set up, and
that you're asking for someone who is more of an SCN guru to do
it, likely because of some possible difficulties or dangers
involved.

   So who would you suggest, as your first and second choices
among people who you believe could do it safely? Then can you
contact those people and work it out, or are we really and truly
stuck until Randy gets back? Hope that isn't the case, and you
can work with some people to repair this. In the process, some
knowledge transfer to a wider range of Ops people would be good
too. Thanks for your concern and efforts about this.

Rod