SCN: Responsibility (was: Re: A Preliminary Review of SSL)

J. Johnson jj at scn.org
Fri Mar 3 20:20:04 PST 2000

On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, Rod Clark wrote:

> > (I believe Rod was looking at having /home0 moved to a larger
> > partition. Well, that's a possible solution, albeit temporary, and
> > I believe Randy has been considering that. But my point remains:
> > neither Randy, nor I, nor anyone else is required to do anything
> > about this problem.)
>

> ... that you would like to fix it if you could. ....

  Sure.  But this is just one piddling problem, and you are missing my
point.  Why should _I_ have to "fix" this, or any other, particular
problem?  I am not obliged to do so (and am quite overbooked with the
obligations I have undertaken regarding our many other problems).  Why not
jump on Kurt? (He was the last person to touch majordomo.)  Why not the
biggest users of /home0?  (I have already urged them to delete or compress
files.)  Where does it say that I, or anyone else, is obligated to fix
this?

If the users on /home0 are pinched for space, why don't they just delete
(or compress) a few files?  Why can't these users just work matters out
themselves?

(Mind that this one particular problem stands proxy to how to deal with
problems in general on SCN.)

(Also [**Rod! please note!**] I have just deleted a few files that no one
is likely to miss, freeing up another one percent of space, so this is
_not_ an immediate problem.)