SCN: RE: Redesigned Web pages

Rod Clark bb615 at scn.org
Tue Mar 21 09:18:26 PST 2000

> 1) It took over a minute to come up on my machine, and I have a T-1
> connection!

Joe,

   The pages are individually smaller, so they should be pretty
quick. It even loaded fairly quickly on a 486-25 with a 33.6k
modem when I tried that. But the Web server is also the mail
server, and there are heavy load spikes on it at times. Not long
ago now the load average was near 5.0, which basically kills the
interactive CGI apps like Web mail, and slows Web pages in
general. You can check the load at

        http://www.scn.org/scripts/loadav.cgi

> 2) I concur that the new SCN logo is awfully small, maybe 25% of the real
> estate I'd give it.  It's barely bigger than the buttons, I'd want it more
> distinct.

   There's a stamp graphic that's twice as large, that uses more
vertical screen real estate. You can see it at

        http://www.scn.org/test.html

> 3) I don't know about you, but I consider the Crisis Resource
> Directory (which I edit) a reasonably important feature of SCN. It
> is now almost impossible to find. Even knowing it is there, and
> looking in half a dozen reasonable places I can't find it. I would
> assume that guide (or relevant pages) should be linked in quite a
> few places. What gives?

   With the change from one huge long menu for each topic, we do
need to keep the SCN-hosted sites easily findable. Lee is
checking the updated alphabetical list of SCN-hosted sites, and
organizing them by category. The Crisis Resource Directory
probably isn't everywhere it should be yet, on the new menus.

   The lists of SCN-hosted sites could either be the first item
on the menu in each topic area, as a separate page, or they
could simply be listed on the main page of each topic area, when
you scroll down the page past the links to the menus. That's
likely better. The newly checked SCN-hosted sites per category
should be up tomorrow.

Rod