SCN: RE: Redesigned Web pages

Kenneth Applegate starsrus at scn.org
Tue Mar 21 13:07:19 PST 2000

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, Joe Mabel wrote:

> I like the new design a lot better (at least under IE4, which is what I
> browse with).  However:
> 1) It took over a minute to come up on my machine, and I have a T-1
> connection!

I agree - not a minute, but certainly 15-20 seconds to load a new page.
This could just be related to ongoing problems with the SCN4 server. The
previous lag that I observed for any pages stored on SCN4 was 5-8 seconds.
This is probably not a good time to test [noon hour]. However, ALL pages
on SCN seem to be very slow to load right now.

> 2) I concur that the new SCN logo is awfully small, maybe 25% of the real
> estate I'd give it.  It's barely bigger than the buttons, I'd want it more
> distinct.

And it probably needs to be repeated [maybe smaller] on all SCN pages

> 3) I don't know about you, but I consider the Crisis Resource Directory
> (which I edit) a reasonably important feature of SCN.  It is now almost
> impossible to find. Even knowing it is there, and looking in half a dozen
> reasonable places I can't find it.  I would assume that guide (or relevant
> pages) should be linked in quite a few places.  What gives?

I suppose I can't complain, since Astronomy lucks out at the beginning of
the alphabet, and Seattle Astro Society is easy to find now at the top of
the Sci/Tech page. However, just considering that Sci/Tech section - it
impresses me as being a real hodge podge mix of Information Provider sites
on SCN, other sites of sci/tech related organizations, local community
resources, random stuff from elsewhere (NASA, for example), etc.

This is not to say there shouldn't be links somewhere on SCN to such
resources.  But it should be sorted out and classified more logically. And
all the extra links to information shouln't get in the way of finding
sites maintained by IPs on SCN - after all, one of the things we do it
host web sites, and it should be easy to find them.

Along those lines - the alphabetic listing of sites on SCN is good, but
take it a step further, since the list is long - identify each letter
section (B's for example) with an <A NAME="B"> tag, and then provide a bar
at the top ABCDE---- which would be clickable links to the anchors for the
A, B, etc sections.

Ken Applegate