SCN: Logos (fwd)

Kenneth Applegate starsrus at scn.org
Tue Aug 21 22:35:52 PDT 2001

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Irene Mogol wrote:

> Does anyone know who this is?  I received 2 of these exactly the same?
> Thanx, Irene

STOP!!!! Do NOT open those email attachments on a Windows machine! They
are probably variants of the SirCam virus that has been going around for
the past two weeks.

If you received them on SCN, using the Pine mail program, they won't cause
any harm, but you should still delete them and not pass them along to
anyone else via email.

You can check on recent viruses at the McAfee Virus Information Library:
http://vil.mcafee.com/

I used to recommnd this site highly, but in recent months McAfee seems to
be cluttering up their site more and more with advertisements for their
products to the point where it is difficult to wade through them to the
information you want!  Norton AntiVirus has a similar library of
virus information, but I haven't used it enough to give you a direct web
pointer to it. Start at www.symantec.com.

Ken Applegate

Ken Applegate           How do you identify astronomers from Seattle?
<starsrus at scn.org>      By the windshield wipers on their telescopes!