SCN: Re: Logos (fwd)

Kenneth Applegate starsrus at scn.org
Tue Aug 21 22:42:50 PDT 2001

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Scot Harkins on scn.org wrote:

> Sure.  It looks like the SirCam worm/virus that made the rounds in July.
> Since you're using Pine you're not affected.  The person/people who emailed
> you have the virus.  They need to get the cleanup tool from McAfee's
> website.  It's specifically for SirCam.  I wish I had used it first, 'coz
> the hot-off-the-press extra.dat from McAfee didn't fix the registry, leading
> me to a couple of days of creative fixing.

Scot - can you tell me the specific file on McAfee for the SirCam virus?
And is it small enough to stick on a rescue floppy? I suspect my boss has
it on his home computer, and would like to give him a rescue diskette to
clean it out. He is trying to install McAfee out of the box, but of course
the CD stops when it detects infecting viruses, and the rescue diskette
that comes with the product is too outdated to find anything. And full
McAfee DAT files won't fit on a diskette.

Ken Applegate

> Scot
>
> --
> Scot Harkins (KA5KDU)
> Greenbank, WA         | Native Texan firmly planted in Western Washington
> scoth at bigfoot.com     | SCA: Ld. Scot MacFin, Barony of Madrone, An Tir
> scoth at scn.org/msn.com | URL <http://www.bigfoot.com/~scoth>

Ken Applegate           How do you identify astronomers from Seattle?
<starsrus at scn.org>      By the windshield wipers on their telescopes!