SCN: SCN site and logo redesign

Kenneth Applegate starsrus at scn.org
Thu Aug 30 00:52:49 PDT 2001

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Rod Clark wrote:

> > As a topic editor I can tell you that I am honest and can be trusted to
> > only change the things I have been told are within my rights as editor to
> > change.
> > I believe I could have changed it to the way I would like to see it a long
> > time ago - but it's not within my bounds so I haven't.
> > And why not have the topic editors change the  menu - then it would be the
> > way that they feel is best for their topic - given some guidelines.
> > We aren't really stupid folks.
>
> Lois,
>
>    Let me explain some of the things that I've been concerned
> about in the Spirituality section, since apparently I've been
> the only editor who has taken an interest in all of the
> Community sections at one time or another, and this issue
> spilled over into some other menus sometimes too.
>
>    For a few years I watched as the Spirituality menu included
> almost entirely mainstream white Christian churches. Finally,
> after realizing that that probably wasn't ever going to change
> by itself, I began contributing links to some black churches,
> some Islamic sites, a few Eastern Orthodox and Hindu sites and
> some more Jewish links than the few we'd had, and so on.

OK, this gets into the area of value judgements, and who gets to make
decsions for overall inclusion/exclusion of things that go on the SCN
pages. Rod, you have a good point about making the Spirituality page more
inclusive. BUT, did you ever, ever think of _discussing_ these ideas with
Lois, as Topic Editor, rather than just going ahead and making the
additions you thought should be there?

Ken

[...]

Ken Applegate           How do you identify astronomers from Seattle?
<starsrus at scn.org>      By the windshield wipers on their telescopes!