BD: Re: SCN: "Free-Nets" in Los Angeles Times

J. Johnson jj at scn.org
Sun Dec 30 23:50:30 PST 2001

On Sun, 30 Dec 2001, patrick wrote:

> I wasn't advocating that SCN provide standard PPP service. I said it
> would be "nice" if SCN had a low-cost service.

Get your head out of your butt:  SCN is **free**.  ZERO cost!!  The only
way to make things cost less would be to _pay_ people for using SCN.

> ... That is what I meant:
> Affordable, "regular" dial-up service like Eskimo or Wolfnet.

"Regular" dial-up service?  That is what we have!  But then, what you
probably meant is PPP service, because that is what IE requires.

(And your idea of making such service more affordable by limiting disk
space usage is absurd.  The cost is not in the disk drives, but in hiring
people to handle everything.)

But you are doing better when you fault SCN's "orchestration".  However,
it is not for any lack in the conductor:  it's because the _players_ can't
agree on what music to play, or even when or where.  This is why every
orchestra in the world has a kind of dictator called a conductor--to get
everyone in time and reading from the same page.  Whereas in SCN we can't
even settle on what music to play.