BD: Re: SCN: "Free-Nets" in Los Angeles Times

Kenneth Applegate starsrus at scn.org
Mon Dec 31 10:45:15 PST 2001

On Sun, 30 Dec 2001, J. Johnson wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Dec 2001, patrick wrote:
>
> > I wasn't advocating that SCN provide standard PPP service. I said it
> > would be "nice" if SCN had a low-cost service.
>
> Get your head out of your butt:  SCN is **free**.  ZERO cost!!  The only
> way to make things cost less would be to _pay_ people for using SCN.

JJ - the content of your commentys is valid. But - perhaps a little less
fanning of the flame wars here? Remember? We are all supposedly friends
here and trying to work for SCN improvement??!

> > ... That is what I meant:
> > Affordable, "regular" dial-up service like Eskimo or Wolfnet.
>
> "Regular" dial-up service?  That is what we have!  But then, what you
> probably meant is PPP service, because that is what IE requires.
>
> (And your idea of making such service more affordable by limiting disk
> space usage is absurd.  The cost is not in the disk drives, but in hiring
> people to handle everything.)
>
> But you are doing better when you fault SCN's "orchestration".  However,
> it is not for any lack in the conductor:  it's because the _players_ can't
> agree on what music to play, or even when or where.  This is why every
> orchestra in the world has a kind of dictator called a conductor--to get
> everyone in time and reading from the same page.  Whereas in SCN we can't
> even settle on what music to play.

Something from Gotterdammerung, perhaps?

Ken Applegate

Ken Applegate           How do you identify astronomers from Seattle?
<starsrus at scn.org>      By the windshield wipers on their telescopes!