BD: Re: SCN: "Free-Nets" in Los Angeles Times

patrick clariun at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 31 10:54:31 PST 2001

Yes, no need for flames. It can be safely assumed that regular ISP
service involves a PPP connection, since that is what most people
use. DSL is out of the question due to cost.

Usenet service is expensive. And there is the question of things
going wrong when you have more services: Murphy's Law.

Human capital is high, but something could be worked out if a company
started an ISP as a not-for-profit. You would have to run models and
leave out the expensive dotcom chairs for all employees.

All kinds of things go wrong with Usenet feeds and that eats up a lot
of human resources.

There are many dotcoms, so to speak, that were there first and are
still around. They run their businesses out of their houses or
garages and keep expenses to a minimum. Eskimo does it and has done
it for a long time.

All I was advocating was possibilities and not for SCN. It has other
issues as I went into discussion about: Like having a competent
manager to oversee all projects and kept the flow going at full
optimization.

Patrick