SCN: Dvorak

Steve steve at advocate.net
Tue Jul 3 08:36:39 PDT 2001

x-no-archive: yes

=============================

(John C. Dvorak, PC Magazine, excerpts)---Here are solutions to my
top pet peeves...

...Zone off the Net

While the Internet 2 Project is attempting to zone the Net on some
level by giving academia a separate network, it's not good enough.
One Internet made some odd sense early on, but now the concept is
dated. There should be separate Internets for specific purposes with
different structures and gateways. There should be an e-mail
Internet, a streaming-media Internet, an IP telephony Internet, a Web
Internet, and yes, a porn Internet.

...Limit URL length to 60 characters

If I have a million pages online and I want to go to page 781,987, my
URL shouldn't have to be anything other than
www.dvorak.org/781987.htm. The designers of database systems
that produce ludicrous URLs consisting of various odd characters
and pointers all over the place should be punished. Many of the
ridiculous URLs are hundreds of characters long, and many cannot
be copied. Many won't work when copied, since they must evolve
from a specific page.

...Eliminate all pop-open windows

A horrible recent trend in online advertising is annoying pop-up
windows in the form of minibrowsers. Many of these spawn other
windows if they are closed. This trend began with porn sites, and
now other commercial enterprises think it's a good thing. If you want
to drive business away, then keep it up.

...Kill Flash advertisements

I also don't like the excessive amount of Flash advertising. Too
much movement on the page makes it hard to read - like trying to
read a screen with a fly crawling on it. The new advertising models
simply do not work. The Flash idea came about because there was a
perceived need to up the ante to get readers' attention. This
approach gets negative attention.

...End forward jumps on Web sites

A typical example of a forward jump is the home page that acts as a
quick hello. It automatically loads a real home page. First, you get a
big "Welcome to the site!" page that loads very fast, and then you
jump to another page. I suppose this makes you think you're visiting
a responsive site, but the problem is that you can't Back-Arrow out
of the site. If I go to Google to do a search, then click on one such
page, I can't get back to Google unless I do predictive clicking -
clicking the Back Arrow key numerous times, hoping that I don't
overshoot.

...Adopt a self-cataloging system

All informational Web sites should be self-cataloging. You should be
able to browse by subject the same way you can browse a library
bookshelf. Current search engine technology does not allow this,
despite the bogus and vague "More Pages Like This" link, which
never works anyway. One key to making this work would be to allow
one tag per site. You decide what your site is about and code it
appropriately for cataloging. Multiple tags would not be allowed,
thus preventing sites from being able to sucker someone into
visiting.

...Eliminate the plug-in

It would be ideal to eliminate all plug-ins. But this will never happen.
In the meantime, a simple program that can show you all your plug-
ins, with their associated files and DLLs, could work. And having the
ability to remove them would also be nice. I have a couple of plug-
ins I'd like to get rid of without digging all over for them.

...Stop the music

Having a Web site load a MIDI or WAV file and play it was funny for
a while, but now the feature must be viewed as a failed experiment.
Nobody wants computers to begin playing music out of the blue. The
feature should be eliminated permanently.

...Create a universal payment mechanism

When are we going to get a truly universal payment system that will
let me effortlessly buy a two-page document for a nickel or dime?
Plan after plan has come and gone. Something has to give, because
the current system, with competing plans, minimum credit card
charges, and a lack of true security, is killing the e-commerce
golden goose.

Copyright 2001 Ziff Davis Media Inc.