SCN: SCN is moving

Steve Guest steve at groupworks.org
Wed May 16 01:16:03 PDT 2001

SCN is moving!  When the Seattle Public Library, where SCN's system is
located, moves to their temporary location this June, so will SCN.

This move is currently scheduled for the evening of Friday, June 15th, a
week later than originally planned.  However, it is possible that unforeseen
problems could delay the move further.  Watch the login announcements for
details.

This is only a move of our physical equipment--SCN users will not need to
make any adjustments!  Our phone numbers will remain the same, our domain
name ("scn.org") will remain the same and in general, "The Move" should have
no effect on the users of SCN other than some temporary loses of service.

Ideally, there would be only one system outage of about four or five hours
on the evening of the move, and intermittent network outages of a few
minutes over the weekend as the library moves.  However, this is a new
building that has many ways of impact us.

Users should be aware of several "possible" problems.  Firstly, as the
library moves there will be intermittent interruptions to our Internet
access.  These could be longer outages if they have problems.  If you cannot
access SCN from the Internet is it probably because of a networking problem.
In addition, MS telnet clients are prone to disconnecting if they do not get
a constant stream of packets.  If you reconnect immediately, you may get a
message from Pine that another process is using your mailbox--that is your
previous session.  Just wait for it to work out that you got disconnected
and let you try again.

Secondly, we hope that our new phone lines will be ready for us when we
bring the system up.  If you call and do not get any answer, we will be
working with Qwest to bring it up again.  You can always try using the
library's number, 386-4140.

We are very hopeful that everything will be stable and working by Monday.
If not, call our help line, (206) 365-4528 for system status.

Other points to note:
 - E-mail service to the Internet will be closed down all day on the day of
the move.
 - E-mail collected while SCN is down may take a day or so to be delivered.
 - Call 206-365-4528 for system status.
 - SPL's terminals in the branches will not be available until Monday.
 - Watch the login messages ("motd") for important announcements.

"The Move" itself should be quite simple and uneventful.  Nevertheless,
preparing for it is proving quite challenging.  Moreover, it is "very"
expensive!  If you would like to help, please consider making a financial
contribution.

Your patience and cooperation in this difficult period are also greatly
appreciated.  If you know of others that would benefit from knowing about
the move, please do tell them.

Yours truly
Steve Guest (Chair of ExComm) and the Operations Team

Steve Guest                                            (425) 653 7353
Vice-President of Seattle Community Network        http://www.scn.org
   "Supporting People and Communities with Free Internet Services"