SCN: hmmm

Steve steve at advocate.net
Thu May 17 07:54:20 PDT 2001

x-no-archive: yes

==========================

(David Coursey, ZDNet AnchorDesk)---An email I recently received
from my radio colleague David Lawrence brought up a topic near to
my heart: why people who filter out Internet advertising by using ad
blocking software may be too clever for their - and our - own good.

Lawrence, who hosts the "Online Tonight" program on CNET Radio,
was mentioning this in the context of a column he recently wrote for
a broadcasting trade mag, in which he essentially told his fellow
radio people who supported ad blocking that they were cutting their
own throats.

I think it is even simpler: Blocking ads kills free Internet content. And
it also subjects readers to companies willing to sell their integrity
and your privacy - for a few bucks.

Up front, let me first remind you of the obvious: Both Lawrence and I
derive our incomes from advertising revenue collected by our
companies. So I am talking from self-interest here.

People who use ad blocking software - and there is a lot of it out
there - reduce the number of impressions ad-supported Web sites
have to sell, thus reducing our revenue. And it's not like this
industry is doing exceedingly well and won't notice even a small
revenue hit. Rather, we look at the number of page views we get
every day and fret, sometimes excessively, when they go down.

Yes, advertising can be obnoxious. I find even some of the ads we
run to be a tad grating, although I also recently found a really useful
piece of software as a free download from one of our banner
advertisers. And, yes, when blockers first arrived on the scene I had
a lot of fun freaking out the advertising salespeople by showing
them pages sans their clients' messages.

And if I were a truly evil person, I might use ad blocking against all
our competitors' sites (or, worse, suggest that you should). But the
truth is that there is a much easier and less dangerous way of
dealing with obnoxious ads: Ignore them and they will go away. But
they will be less likely to take your favorite free content with them
than if you block all ads indiscriminately.

If, perhaps, you'd like to actually support what we do, then give the
ads a chance and click the ones that interest you. You might even
buy something. These companies aren't paying for your online
content fix because they like you; they are doing it to drive sales.

The alternative to advertising support is less free content and more
sites demanding membership fees. Some sites are already offering
"ad free" versions to people willing to pay a subscription fee. I see
this as a growing trend.

As a passing comment: Have you looked at what a daily newspaper
costs these days? The New York Times charges me over $10 a
week for home delivery - and I still get all the ads. (Of course, I like
the ads.) And a metro daily isn't that much cheaper. By comparison,
what readers get online for free, thanks to ad support, is quite a deal
and worth protecting, I'd say.

I mentioned before that a loss of advertising revenue could lead
some companies to earn money in "devious" ways. CNET Networks
(parent of ZDNet) is a highly ethical media company - minor or even
potential transgressions are taken quite seriously - but there are
always companies willing to sell editorial coverage in exchange for
advertising purchases. Or to sell their mailing lists. Or, well, you get
the idea.

So if you want to block ads, go ahead; I can't stop you. But if you do,
know that the amount and quality of the free content you enjoy will
go down accordingly. It's your choice.

Copyright 2001 ZD Inc.