SCN: hmmm

Brian High brian at happygardening.com
Thu May 17 17:35:28 PDT 2001

Before businesses were on the internet trying to
get rich, I did not see there ads, either.  So
was I hurting the 'free content' then?  I am trying
to remember when I promised to support businesses
on the internet by looking at their ads.  I
made no such promise.  If someone wants my money
or my personal information or for me to look
at some ad, then they have to provide me with
something sufficiently motivating.  I do not
watch commerial television.  I do not see ads
on commercial television.  I am hurting television?
I am not watching their ads because their programming
does not motivate me to keep the TV on their channel
as they show ads.  Web sites with ads have not provided
sufficient motivation to induce me to turn off ad blocking.

On the other hand, there are plenty that businesses have
done that I feel hurts the internet.  There are violations
of privacy, misinformation, spyware, web bugs, SPAM,
browser tricks, and on and on.

Until I see proof that those tricks will never again
be used against me, perhaps I might consider looking
at one of their ads.  Meanwhile, I won't feel
guilty about blocking ads.  If they want to charge
for their content, fine.  Go ahead.

--Brian

On 5/17/01, 6:54:20 AM, "Steve" <steve at advocate.net> wrote regarding
SCN: hmmm: