SCN: Re: Possible Roles for SCN -- and what we can do about it...

patrick clariun at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 2 08:14:58 PST 2001

Eskimo.com is afloat and doing well, charging $156 a year for basic
56K access.

But, yes, Bob at Eskimo has been doing this for a long time and does
much of the work himself, so he understands the market and money.

Many places just sprang up to be a business, pouring in cash, opening
the doors and waiting for the customers to come. They didn't handle
things too well. Of course, many of them, I am sure, sold out to
bigger companies like Earthstink.

Patrick

--- "J. Johnson" <jj at scn.scn.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, emailer1 wrote:
> >
> > First thing:  Become a stable ISP (internet hookup entity).  That
> might
> > require charging $5.00 per person per month but then we could
> give up the
> > non-profit status and do some high-powered lobbying.
>
> _Might_ require charging _$5_ a month?  HAH!!!!
>
> Consider that if we give up non-profit status we _will_ have to
> start
> paying for Internet access, rent, taxes, etc. As well as wages.
> And
> consider that of the many ISPs that have entered the market (many
> of them
> low-overhead "mom-and-pop" operations you never noticed) NONE have
> been
> able to stay afloat charging less than $20 a month.  (Or selling
> advertising.)
>
> === JJ
> * * *

=====
Patrick Fisher
Webmaster
http://www.scn.org
Seattle Community Network
"Powering Our Communities with Technology"