SCN: Re: Possible Roles for SCN -- and what we can do about it...

J. Johnson jj at scn.scn.org
Thu Nov 1 21:52:09 PST 2001

> On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, emailer1 wrote:
>
> First thing:  Become a stable ISP (internet hookup entity).  That might
> require charging $5.00 per person per month but then we could give up the
> non-profit status and do some high-powered lobbying.

_Might_ require charging _$5_ a month?  HAH!!!!

Consider that if we give up non-profit status we _will_ have to start
paying for Internet access, rent, taxes, etc. As well as wages.  And
consider that of the many ISPs that have entered the market (many of them
low-overhead "mom-and-pop" operations you never noticed) NONE have been
able to stay afloat charging less than $20 a month.  (Or selling
advertising.)