SCN: Homestead - no more free websites

Kenneth Applegate starsrus at scn.scn.org
Tue Oct 30 17:21:05 PST 2001

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, patrick wrote:

> Randy,
>
> What I mean is: If someone walked in off the street wanted an SCN
> account and website, they could have one for free. Such as in:
>
> http://www.scn.org/~heidimo/
>
> This person has a free website on SCN. That is the scope of my
> definition.

Well, for totally free, it would be more like http://www.scn.org/~bx123/
because free accounts get assigned names under the scheme used by the
Freeport user interface. People can get "vanity" accounts for a donation
[$25?] and choose their own account name.

But either type of user account gets created with a
/home/<acctname>/work/public_html directory which the web server responds
to as www.scn.org/~<acctname>. I don't know how much you have looked at
the Freeport menu interface, but there are tools there for working with
files in your public_html directory.

> When I mean free, they can have a site and other people can go to it.
> But they will have hell to pay when doing file transfers. So it may
> as well be free. Or free, but not worth it, because everyday users
> don't have ftp access.
>
> So wouldn't it be great if SCN had FTP for the average Joe. If the
> SCN hosting was done elsewhere, could we have secure FTP that way?

Hosting done elsewhere? As in using a commercial name redirection service?
The astronomy club has been doing that since last spring - we got a domain
name registerd through a service called namesecure.com, which sets up
redirection so that "http://seattleastro.org" points to
"http://www.scn.org/sastro/sas.html", our home page. Except for the cost,
this has some nice advantages - (1) absolutely nothing has to be done on
the scn end. (2) they throw in email redirection, so that
just-about-anything at seattleastro.org winds up in the mailbox of
xx004 at scn.org, our standard Freeport ip account. So, I have email
inquiries directed with a "mailto:info at seattleastro.org".

Ken Applegate