SCN: Re:re evaluate ethics: link suggestion - Seattle Red Cross

Rod Clark bb615 at scn.org
Wed Sep 12 21:48:47 PDT 2001

Elaine Chan wrote:
> I propose we purge all our websites of links to hate groups.

Elaine,

   The only complaint that I can recall right now about a "hate
group" that SCN hosts was about the Irish Northern Aid
Committee. SCN still hosts it, regardless of the validity of
that complaint in the minds of many people on the other side of
that issue.

   Another complaint that I recall, from last year, was about a
homosexual group. Again, we didn't remove the link because of
the complaint.

> I do not condemn all Semites but urge that those people who
> are at fault be eliminated.

   Could you please clarify what you are talking about?

> In the past various groups wishing to fight hate groups have
> been denied links on our web sites with such statements as
> "these are not local groups" - rethink that please and the
> webmaster's very terse replies to Israeli groups seeking links
> should be re-examined by a committee of more than one.

   The great majority of non-local groups have got that same
response. At the moment, I can't remember any Israeli groups who
have requested links. If this is a real question and not a
canard, then we can look for their requests, and any replies to
them, in the webmaster and webeditors archives. Which Israeli
groups were they?

Rod Clark
webeditors at scn.org