SCN: websites to feature

Scot Harkins on scn.org scoth at scn.org
Thu Sep 13 09:19:22 PDT 2001

I tend towards the inclusive attitude for links, even external links that
may not follow our web design standards.

Lynx may seem out of date but it's actually a gateway to broad usability.
We are one of the few Webster _in the world_ that can be browsed by visually
impaired users with browser devices that render web pages to Braille or that
navigate sites in visually simple ways.  I don't know that we are actually
pursuing the ADA standards, but the fact that we are both a community
resource and an accessible resource is unique.

The web has exploded as a world full of eye-candy, which only works for
those with eyes that can see.  Those few sites trying to address ADA
standards feature either a low-graphic version of their site or actually
seek to detect the remote browser and load browser-targeted pages.  Each of
these requires parallel site development.  Keeping a focus on simple design
standards make the pages easier to browse for all users.

In 20 years the majority of the people in our country will be over 65 years
old.  How many of them will appreciate our continuing efforts and the
efforts of others to make the information world easier to use?

Scot

--
Scot Harkins (KA5KDU)
Greenbank, WA         | Native Texan firmly planted in Western Washington